From the Scriptorium
The Making of Peo Satimus
As a writer, you
create characters…some linger like ghosts, others drift into the background,
thin and necessary, like scaffolding. Then there are the ones who knock you
clean off your seat. They never ask permission. They just arrive fully formed,
eyes gleaming, daring you, if you will, to look away.
Peo Satimus was one of
those.
He didn’t knock. He broke the damn door down.
Decades
ago, yes, decades…I
was in Ariminum, walking a gravel path in a quiet park. I had music in my ears,
though I couldn’t tell you now what it was. A breeze, barely more than a
whisper, lifted the hair on the back of my neck. And then I saw him. Just a
flicker. A dark coat, darker hair. A glance, questionable and quick.
I sat down on a wooden bench and scribbled a character sketch: manner, mood,
looks. I even drew him…me, someone who can’t draw to save her life. And yet
there he was. Bloodstained. Silent. He stepped out from the deepest, dustiest
corner of my imagination.
It would take me twenty years to write him.
He was too complex. Charismatic. And I, I was afraid of him.
At first, I tried to soften him, tried to edge him into something digestible.
He refused.
He sat me down. He dictated. I became his biographer.
And oh, the story he had to tell…
Peo Satimus is not the villain.
But he’s not quite the hero either.
He lives somewhere in-between…a broken cathedral between good and evil, where
the candles burn low and mercy is a rare and brittle thing.
Yes, he is a vampire.
But not the kind that woos or weeps or sparkles in the sun.
Peo has killed. And he remembers. He remembers everything...
Those memories are the sharpest weapons he carries.
He was once a man. A soldier. A servant of something greater,
or perhaps something far darker. But that man is gone, buried beneath centuries
of silence and sin.
What remains is a creature walking through shadows, carrying
the weight of an empire on his shoulders, with its blood on his hands.
And yet, in the stillness between dusk and dawn, in those
quiet, haunted hours…
There is a flicker.
So faint it feels like a trick of the mind.
But it’s there:
That Peo wishes he were still human.
A World Demanded Into Being
But of
course, characters like Peo do not exist in a vacuum. They need a world as torn
and complex as they are. One that breathes with the same broken rhythm.
The
Militiverse began but not with a map, nor a magic system, but with a sense of echo.
There is a whisper, a whisper of something ancient and ruined.
Of Oaths taken in blood. Of Brotherhoods that are forged not by choice, but by
necessity.
The Tempus
Militibus series, it came in fragments…
Words that I scribbled on the backs of receipts, on wine-stained napkins.
In a notebook that I can’t travel without.
Paris. Rome. Forgotten cemeteries and underground tunnels.
Music that sounded like thunder made of violins.
The world
bloomed beneath his boots.
Peo didn’t ask me to build it.
He demanded it.
And now, as
I sit in my scriptorium, with my tea cooling beside me, the corvids plotting in
the garden, the scent of ink and dusk hanging heavy in the air, I know this:
Peo Satimus
is not a character.
He is a reckoning.
The Reckoning Arrives
Tempus Mori releases this Friday.
Peo is no longer confined to my notebooks or the candlelit corners of my
imagination.
He is free now.
And gods help us all
https://books2read.com/u/mBN7Qy
Comments
Post a Comment