Paris in Shadows
Why the Gothic Still Matters
Good
evening, my dear Gothic dark academics,
The
weekend has passed but its perfume still lingers, doesn’t it? Pull up a chair,
warm your toes by the fire. I’m sipping the green fairy tonight. What’s your
poison?
Let me
tell you in on a little secret.
Paris,
the city of love, light, and lingering ghosts. Dripping with gothic
architecture and literary sorcery. Beautiful to a fault, like a princess in a
doomed fairy tale. But… I
wasn’t always seduced by it. Oh no!
Hard to
believe, isn’t it?
I never
could quite grasp its allure, what its pull was. It shimmered at a distance, a
city behind glass. But as with all great enchantments, Paris found a way to
creep under my skin. Slowly, insidiously, tenderly.
And when
it did?
The
Gothic Heart Found Its Way Home
Picture
it here, cobbled streets glistening under a rainstorm, Paris breathing mist
like a dragon half asleep. People move not like modern tourists but like
dancers in an old waltz, unaware that they are part of a spell. No one runs
from the rain here, oh no, they dissolve into it, like drops of absinthe
vanishing on a white glove.
I
wandered those shadowed alleyways searching for bookshops that felt like a
portals, while the cafés seduced me with French roast and croissants that
melted like sin.
So, what
was it about Paris, in December, in April, that finally captured this gothic
heart?
Le
Stryge, that
brooding gargoyle of Notre Dame. The Seine after a downpour, swollen with memory. An
artist sketching along the riverbank. A woman, legs dangling over the edge,
notebook in hand, probably writing a lament to a long lost lover.
I
remember sitting in a bistro on rue
d’Arcole, a copy of
Baudelaire’s Les Fleurs du Mal on the table. I had plucked it from a
green bookstall along the embankment. Cappuccino frothy. Atmosphere thick with
poetry. Then the cathedral bells began to chime, Notre Dame’s twelve haunting
notes that echoed into my bones. That’s when I knew….
My gothic heart had
come home.
Paris The Gothic’s Forgotten Mistress
Not
London. Not Prague. But Paris.
She’s
the true Gothic mistress, isn’t she? Elegant,
decadent, impossibly knowing. A woman in silk gloves clutching secrets like
pearls. She faints, but only when it’s useful. She smiles but she never
forgets.
Montmartre.
The stairs of rue du Mont Cenis. The literary trail of the dead, Zola,
Stendhal, Wilde. Cemeteries where the marble is worn smooth by longing.
Every
time I return, I fall deeper under her spell. Friends are astonished. “You used
to dislike Paris!” they say.
Yes, well. So did many doomed lovers before me.
The Gothic and the Artist
Of
course, she haunts my writing. How could she not?
The
shadowed streets, the fog, the lace of centuries-old sorrow, this is Paris, as
Paris breathes through the pages of Tempus
Militibus. Writers,
artists, philosophers…they’ve always come here, drawn like moths to the
lamplight of something unknowable.
The city
is muse and menace. She whispers stories in the clatter of café spoons and the
hush of old libraries.
The Gothic Is Not Just Genre. It’s
Atmosphere
What
makes Gothic endure? Why do we return?
It’s not
just castles and curses. It’s the half-smoked cigarette. The lipstick on a
glass. The glove dropped on damp pavement. The unfinished letter. The echo in
an empty corridor.
It’s atmosphere. It lives.
When I
write, especially in the Militiverse, I fall headlong into it. Paris doesn’t
simply inspire, it possesses.
And not
just in books but cinema, too.
I think
not only of Alain Delon, but Jean Rollin’s Requiem for a Vampire,
Franju’s Eyes Without a Face. Surreal, fantastique, blurred and
black-and-white like memory in mourning.
That’s
the Paris I adore and the one that slips between shadows. The one that waits
for her own to return.
So my darlings,
If your
heart beats to the sound of cathedral bells and you, too, thrill at a creaking
staircase, listen.
Paris
is calling.
You may
not realise it yet but she is waiting for you to come home.
Until
next time, my friends
Au revoir, mon amie.
ADM
xoxo

Comments
Post a Comment