The Split-Brain Writer: Living in Two Books at Once
Good evening lovies, I am so glad that you could join me this
evening. What a week it has been, Lady Cora is languishing by the fire, what a
day she had, cackling at the corvids.
But where are my
manners? Sit by the fire, get warm and can I offer you some refreshment? Wine,
tea or perhaps a little absinthe?
This evening, I want to talk about something that every
writer lives but rarely mentions.
As you all know I have a book coming out on the 13th February,
yes, Remy’s arc will grace the shelves, and eReaders.
So, get comfy and let’s talk about living with two books at
once.
Two Books, Two Selves
My Tempus Militibus Series has been a monumental undertaking, started so long ago now, I can’t remember a time when the characters weren’t a part of my everyday life.
Sometimes a WIP (work in progress) has to live alongside a favourite project that is getting lots of attention. The rewrite is finished. Then emails to and from the editor, the cover artist, the blurb writing begins. That’s just the early stages of the game once the final rewrite has been completed.
When the book, the pet who is being polished and having its hair done before meeting its public, has undergone all the stages that I am happy with I am free to either outline, or begin the next book.
Sometimes, as with the Tempus Militibus Series, I begin the rewrite on the next book that is going under the publication spotlight.
In moments like this, there are two books, and two selves, and the hat that each wears is completely different.
The Book Everyone Knows vs. the Book No One Sees
In the weeks leading up to the publication date, I start dropping quotes, visuals, little aesthetics that relate to the book. An introduction to what the reader can expect and a chance to meet the characters just before they arrive.
I get lots of messages and emails from readers, which I love to receive telling me what you love, and what you don’t, about the different stories, it means a lot to me to hear your thoughts.
When I speak about the book, the upcoming release, it’s as if everyone is getting ready to meet, have coffee or a drink with an old friend. The book is familiar even before it arrives.
Not so with the book that no one knows.
The WIP, is a lonely place where there is no mention of it, what its about or when it will be released. It’s the book that no one sees…yet!
The Mental Whiplash of Pre-Publication
I have been writing professionally for over 20 plus years, I have had many books published under my own name, and I can honestly say this: the pre-publication period is like having mental whiplash.
It is the most exciting time, and the most nerve wracking, because it’s where you cease to be free to just create, write the story and let your mind wander into whatever realm it feels like exploring.
The days and weeks leading up to publication day is where you spit and polish your book, you get deep into the promotion, the presentation and preparation. Then you know that you are ready to kiss your book on the head and let it go out into the world on its own.
Why the New WIP Matters Right Now
This is an emotional time for any writer, you have worked so hard on your book, rewritten it many times, I will happily admit that I rewrite anything up to four maybe five drafts before I am satisfied with what I have written.
Which is why I always love and need the comfort that a new WIP gives.
It gives me somewhere to retreat to, a creative space and its private. I can lose myself in the world that I am creating and drive around inside of it and get to know the new characters and their quirks. It helps the transition from letting one book go and allow my imagination to run free again.
Living in the In-Between
Creating a fantasy series is a huge commitment, but it is also a wonderful part about living in the in between place, because you still have that connection with the characters already out in the world, while you form a bond with the ones who aren’t …yet.
I love that, especially when they surprise me by their antics.
I write all the time, as a chronic insomniac I can write up 16 hours a day (or night). A little secret my friends: I wouldn’t have it any other way. I love writing, I love creating.
So, my darlings, I hope this little glimpse has given you food for thought and somehow lit a spark of inspiration of your own. Writing is escapism. It’s a gateway to other worlds, realms, and most of all, for writer and reader alike, it is truly the most wonderful form of entertainment there is.
Until next time my friends, be good and I’ll see you soon.
Anna xoxo
.png)


Comments
Post a Comment