Why Autumn Lives in the Heart All Year
Good evening my friends, I hope that you had a fantastic weekend filled with sunshine, good books and company. I was hiding in the shade on the agora with my hands wrapped around a mug of French roast and pondering the long hot summers that live in the imagination of the past.
Thinking about summer, as I read in the armchair, my mind turned to my favourite season of all, autumn.
Sit back, relax and let’s discuss the golden season and how it lives in the heart all year.
A Season of Reflection
There’s no season that brings on reflection about the closing of a year as much as autumn. There’s something about the closing of one season and the beginning of another. Where winter falls into spring and rebirth, growth all around, and a softening of the cold. Autumn hits differently.
Summer has been long and full of warmth, flowers are in full bloom, pastel colours and scent fills the air. People tend to be in an adventurous spin. Holidays are exciting and full of discovery.
I love how at the beginning of August, particularly here in Ireland, the weather changes, it just slowly dips in temperature, and you notice the slight change that heralds the beginning of autumn. Time slows to a quieter pace, and you willingly go with its vibe.
One of my favourite things to do during this season change, is put on YouTube, with music from the 50s, peruse Pinterest for autumn themed mood boards, and inspiration.
When I think of autumn, I imagine it as a colour, a warm feeling that wraps itself around you and fills you with a golden sensation.
I love scented candles, and I fill the Scriptorium with vanilla, musk, and caramel candles. The library has soft, gentle lights which reflect the warmth of the season and the fireplace is layered with various sized lanterns for atmosphere.
When I am relaxing in the armchair with a book, and a cup of tea, I truly feel as though my soul is dressed in amber and gold.
Autumn and old bookshops
I love visiting bookshops, particularly old bookshops, off the beaten track. Where one sees a candle in a hurricane lantern, resting in the window. The flame flickering and dancing extending a welcome to the passerby to come in and browse its shelves.
There are some fantastic atmospheric old bookshops that I absolutely can’t resist. Especially when there is gentle rain hitting against the windows. A fresh breeze which fills the air when the door is opened and the little bell above the door tinkles.
This is when the scent of old leather, and the feint smell of pipe smoke linger in the pages of books, long resting on the shelves carefully looking for a new owner.
That is truly magical.
Autumn is more invitation to reflect, write, and imagine
This summer, I have been in the Scriptorium rewriting, polishing and editing book 9 in my Tempus Militibus Series. Some days it was harder to remain focused because of the sunshine and the heat, as I wanted to be outside reading a book.
I find autumn is easier to sit behind the desk, check my notes, and get immersed in my world of the Militiverse. It’s as if with the changing of the season from summer to autumn, the invitation is marked with reflection and the notebooks quietly whisper a welcome turn of the page to write, a story, an essay, or even a note.
It’s a time to imagine, to immerse oneself in the warmth and cosiness of a new season.
So, my friends, as summer is giving us a final fete, let’s celebrate the coming of the golden season with its palette of amber, reds, browns and ochre. Those hints of purple and check materials so rich that you just can’t help but wrap your arms around yourself and smile.
Therefore, don’t look upon the inevitable season change with a slightly turned down mouth, think of autumn not as a change on the calendar but instead think of the memories made, stories written and your heart filled with a smile of revelries about to come.
Until next time, enjoy the rest of this beautiful summer.
Anna

.png)
.png)
Comments
Post a Comment