The Season of Silent Footsteps

 


 

Good evening my friends,

Come sit by the fire, have a glass of wine. You might wonder why I am sitting with a fluffy blanket over my knees when there’s not really a chill in the air. Well I will tell you. It’s not quite autumn and sitting outside is much nicer as the lazy summer evenings draw to a close, and like a cat, I too love a soft cosy blanket to snuggle up with.  I love autumn with its crisp leaves, the colours rich and nature showing off about how well it can paint a scene.

When the Leaves Become Tricksters

Summer in Ireland is a mixed bag. Some years cool and endless rain, this year, unexpectedly, sun that warms and delights. Light breezes blow and the leaves on the trees sing backing vocals like a choir for the birds. They all compete for attention as if the to be heard they raise their voices. That’s when the leaves sway and dance their tango in time to the rhythm of the song birds.

The seasons play out their charades and all to the delight of us observing the show, wondering what’s next.

The World Withdraws, the Story Awakes

In summer I find it hard to remain focused on writing. I want to be outside on the patio, with a book in my hand and Lady Cora purring beside me giving side eye and every now and then a flick of the tail, letting everyone and everything know that in her regal disdainfulness  there and something disturbed her.

Don’t get me wrong, I love the summer but I prefer the autumn, when the rain comes, the corvids gather on the agora to debate the coming season and to assign the philosophers to their new postings and the hierarchy is decided upon as the mist curling along the stones, and the shadows shifting as they chatter.

It’s a little like that in the Militiverse, the changing of the seasons, brings on new characters, new stories.

I am deep in the plot of the Militiverse now, the first five books wander through the world, and I am back in front of the typewriter plotting and outlining the new stories.

A New Season A New Group

I am looking forward to all of you dear friends, meeting the rest of the characters, some new ones and stories which will have your toes curl and make you laugh out loud. But more about that in the coming weeks, both here and on my socials.

Rain, Fog, and European Whispers

In late September Then I shall be taking my gothic heart to  Europe, to a city which holds a special place in my writing. I shall be away for a few days soaking up the last of the summer sun, notebook in hand MP3 player blaring the sounds in my ears. I can’t wait to share with you all what comes out of that trip.

So let me refill my glass and put another log in the chimenea…



Soon, the Militiverse will stir in ways both wicked and wonderful, and I promise tales that will curl your toes and haunt your dreams in the best possible way. And as the nights draw in, be ready, dear friends, for whispers of secrets long buried and characters whose shadows stretch longer than you think…

Be good.

Anna xoxo

 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Almost Human, Almost Blue…

A Writer’s Evening: Tea, Cats, and Creating Atmosphere

Countdown to Peo's release