How Much Research Goes into One Line of Historical Fantasy?
Good evening my dearest ones, isn’t it biting outside? Well,
do come in, take off your coat and warm your hands by the fire. There’s coffee or
a little hot toddy if you fancy it. Don’t mind Lady Cora, she has been mischievous
all day.
You know tonight I want to talk to you about research. Yes,
the bane of every writer’s life but a necessary part.
I was having a wee chat with two writer friends, one was a
playwright, and the other was a military history buff. Both very dedicated to
their craft. The subject of research came up, and each of them had definite
opinions on it. My friend, Sara, said that though needed, research was a black
hole that a writer could get lost in, and she’d prefer just two sources. Her
husband Neil, who loves history and particularly military history from World
War 1 and 2, agreed that though it was gruelling, he found it stimulating. Both
turned to me and with an assumption that because I write a combination of crime
and gothic fantasy with a historical backdrop, research wasn’t too trying…
Oh, isn’t it?
When One Line Requires a Time Machine and Ten Sources
When I first conceived the idea for the Tempus
Militibus Series, I had the first two characters, Luca and Peo, in mind, I knew
that they would be historical and from a time that I absolutely adore. Ancient history
has always been a passion of mine. As a young adult, I travelled to Rome and
fell in love with the ruins, the ghosts made themselves known, and under those azure,
blue skies, I ‘felt’ the history that was the seat of one of the most powerful
empires ever.
I have read extensively, from the writings of
Ovid, Julius Caesar, Herodotus, and of course the philosophies of the Greeks,
from Aristotle, Plato, to the fragments of Zeno of Elea, and Xenophon. Not for
research but for pleasure.
In Peo’s arc, I needed just a line, one sentence,
one basic description. Oh, how I wished I had a time machine. I remember the
scene, where Peo was standing in the courtyard, awaiting his uncle, and in my
mind’s eye, I could see the villa, I could smell the oleander. Then, I hit a
brick wall! Suddenly my flow of thought, was interrupted and I had to open a
tab, try and find what I was looking for, no that’s not it, then
another, nothing, another tab was opened, wait, that is interesting,
now, what is the source of this?!?! Hmm! That might work, then again…Open
another tab. A few minutes away from the paragraph that I was working on,
turned into half an hour.
Eureka!
I happily returned to my story, but my writing
roll didn’t last for too long. A sentence. Dialogue!
This time the interruption came because I needed
a dialect, it had to be perfect, it needed to be historically correct. I opened
the web again, and with little success. I had to go to my own library and comb
through the various books I have on Roman History.
Where is the time machine when you need it?!?!?
Making Facts Behave Themselves in Fiction
The most interesting thing about researching for
fiction, any kind of fiction, is the knowledge you gain. With Tempus Lunae
Sanguinis, which is the introduction to the European Militibus. It is safe to
say that I totally enjoyed the research and the historical facts, some which I
already knew, but some were new to me and completely fascinating.
But as is the case where fact meets fiction,
sometimes one wishes that the facts would behave and gloriously lend themselves
to the fiction in a way that could be completely fiction. But alas, when
dealing with historical fact, it is unforgiving to let the story misbehave and fictionize
history.
The Literary Tightrope Between Accuracy and Alchemy
The Tempus Militibus Series deals with a lot of
factual events from history. Events that even though I am writing fantasy, I
have to remain true to the history, the time, and historical characters.
That’s when the research becomes important, when
it has to remain authentic. Which in my opinion is when historical accuracy and
fictional alchemy gel and the magic is made.
I learned about certain periods in time that I
knew precious little about. The books that I read for research purposes, incredibly
insightful, and have been greatly received into my library to be read later for
pleasure. For that alone is why I adore researching, you always learn something
new.
One Line, Two Centuries, Numerous Cups of Coffee
So, when it comes to reading, no matter what genre, just take
a moment to appreciate the research that went into writing, that one line, on
two centuries, or even a millennium. But most importantly, respect to the
kettle, who worked overtime keeping the author awake with numerous cups of
coffee, and the cat who remained languishing on the open book.
Until next week, my darlings, keep the kettle boiling and the
cat treats nearby.
Love
Anna..xoxo



Comments
Post a Comment