What Survived the Writing Year
Good evening my lovelies,
welcome to the Scriptorium. At this time of year, I expect snow. While we wait,
let’s warm ourselves with something sweet, perhaps a chocolate, lovingly made
by one of the illustrators.
Christmas time is a reflective
time isn’t it? On the socials I have reminisced about Christmas past. This time
though, I find myself about to close the door on the scriptorium for the year
and take a walk down memory lane of what I have written, what I have read and
most importantly, what I have learned.
So, let’s get comfy and have a
chat.
I have been invested in the
Tempus Militibus for ever. I outlined the series about fifteen years ago, and
began writing the first books. Sticking rigidly to the outline and as the
characters made themselves known, their quirks made me smile, laugh and cry
with a certain frustration.
As I mentioned I was meticulous
with the outline, the plots and the characters. Plans and maps were created, I
drew them out on baking paper almost childlike, and then spread them out on the
table. Some
struck me as brilliant, others gave me a headache.
Not everything in the outline
made it out alive, but I know the right ones did.
Among false starts and rewrites,
a voice remained
At a writing festival several
years ago, an editor I met, told me, that sometimes, when something feels a
little off, do not be afraid to cut it, even if it means having to rework a
scene, a chapter, a plot.
Of the books published this
year, I spent so much time with the characters, that I got to know them as I
rewrote their arcs. Some of what they did surprised me; some of what they said
made me raise an eyebrow.
So, my friends, amongst the
rewrites, the false starts, and the heartbreak that some characters endured, a
lot of their trials, tribulations and victories, were a learning for both of
us.
Out with the old, in with the
unexpected.
On a personal note, I have
enjoyed this journey with you, sharing my adventures in the Militiverse,
introducing new characters, but most of all, what I have learned is Even in a
world as vast and unpredictable as the Militiverse, even among vampires, friendship
endures
So my friends, I want to wish
you all a happy, peaceful, and most of all an adventurous Christmas.
Keep the candles flickering and a
book open.
Until next time, be good!
Anna xoxo

Comments
Post a Comment