Insomnia, Imagination, and the Rise of the Motorbike Hottie
Good evening my lovely friends. Come in, take the weight off your feet. I have just opened a lovely bottle of Provencal Rose, perfectly chilled. Lady Cora cat may or may not join us later.
My research
trip to Prague has been very productive, I have enjoyed some of the best jazz and
yes, the green fairy was, shall we say mischievous. Now tell me something, do
you sleep deeply? Uninterrupted dreams, the required eight hours? You do?
Please, tell me your secret.
Get comfy
my lovelies, I have a confession to make, and please don’t hold it against me.
It Started
Respectably, I Swear
When I started writing as a professional writer, I always knew the importance
of research, especially for historical fiction. Dates, events, and characters
would have to be accurately portrayed. I would read voraciously on the subject
I was writing about.
Twenty plus
years ago, the internet was a resource that arrived and possibly saved a lot of
time, and possibly my sanity.
I still have
reference books, historical accounts, all kinds of books on the subject. They
grace my bookshelves in the scriptorium, along with other artefacts that have
found their way into the Militiverse.
As I have
said, starting out writing a new book, my research is always done just after I
outline the story. Some of you have asked, how I begin the book.
There’s no
deep ritual. No incantations, I open the page and stare at it for a while, then
I look at mood boards and images, it all starts respectably…
I swear.
Research
vs. Distraction: A Blurred Line
My series, Tempus Militibus is based in historical epochs. The
characters Luca, Peo, Karl, and Remy are all from history. The research that I
did on their time, when they were mortal, took me from books written by ancient
historians, and trips to Paris, Rome, Ariminum and Germania.
I wanted
the series to have that authentic feel, especially during their mortal lives. So,
I drew on my photographs from my travels, and…Pinterest!
Ah yes.
Pinterest.
Mood boards
are dangerous things, aren’t they? Lots of inspiration. According to my search history,
I adore the gothic aesthetic, I love travel and it seems, more specifically,
leather.
Men with
long hair…In leather.
That’s a
pure coincidence, obviously.
When the Tempus Militibus made themselves known to me, they were from
different places, different times, but they were always immortal. I could see them clearly, how they looked. How
they spoke, their accents. Their style of clothes, even down to their
aftershave. Yes, I researched aftershave, in Dubai airport duty free. Don’t
judge.
During rewrites,
a pattern was slowly emerging. I was carefully researching fashion, hairstyles,
and tans. What was becoming increasingly obvious to me, about this research, it
would appear that I had developed... a type.
Blond hair.
The longer the better. Bare chest. Tight abs. Accents. Don’t get me started on
those…
It was…
very distracting research.
The
Motorbike Problem.
In my other
author persona, it was no surprise. It was expected as rock stars and leather
go together like bad decisions and tour buses.
My Tempus
Militibus Vampires also wore tight leather trousers, bare chest and they
rode the most beautiful, sleek, black Ducati panigales!
When I was
growing up, my father was very mechanical. He was well known in our village as a
motorbike restorer. One of the bikes that he restored was a 1959 BSA 350, I
remember it well, it broke his heart when he sold it on.
I grew up
around motorbikes, and motor racing, so it was inevitable bikes would make it
into my writing.
Then I saw the
Ducati panigale. Such a beautiful motorbike. That was the moment when I knew
that I had to have my Tempus Militibus riding, this exquisitely stunning
motorbike.
Yes, my
vampires, tall, gorgeous, leather clad ancient warriors riding the beautiful
panigale motorbikes. I embraced it, how could I not?
In My
Defence: It Was 3AM
It’s well documented on my socials that I party hard with insomnia, she’s very committed
to our relationship. So, at 3 AM, when even the corvids hadn’t considered breakfast.
there I am, laptop open, at the dining room table (How very appropriate). I
absolutely wasn’t ogling inspirational material for my book. I was just
researching. I am very thorough when it comes to it.
But in my
defence, I had been sleep deprived for three nights and no HRT to speak of.
That should
come with a warning label.
On Why Sleep Deprivation Should Come with a Disclaimer
It was that
night that something clicked.
A man with
long flowing luscious locks, wearing a leather jacket, sitting on the most
beautiful bike ever designed that my gorgeous French vampire, (one of them,
anyway) was created.
His smile could charm the caffeine out of a
coffee.
So, here’s
the real confession. Sleep deprivation should come with a disclaimer. Something
like:
‘May result
in immortal warriors, wearing tight leather, perfect hair, and riding Ducati
Panigales, (Imagined or otherwise)’
Join me
next week, my lovelies, for part two of ‘Insomnia, Imagination, and the Rise
of the Motorbike Hottie.’
Until then,
keep the coffee strong, and get a good night’s sleep.
Anna


.png)
.png)
Comments
Post a Comment