The Moment He Became Dangerous (And I Let Him)
Good
evening my lovely friends, can you believe it’s April? I’ve been busy
researching, rewriting, and editing. I love researching especially when it
involves travelling to locations that will feature in future books. More about
that later.
As I said
before, rewriting and editing is the polishing phase of the book, the part
where the characters have spoken, told their side of the story and then you,
their biographer, reads it and tightens the outcome.
But, let me
tell you a little secret, the characters sometimes reveal a little of
themselves, a part that they never wanted to, they kept hidden, and that my
friends, is the moment it gets dangerous.
Pull up a
chair, get comfy and I’ll tell you.
The Quiet
Shift
Imagine a
hotel room, lights are low, there’s a beautiful antique four poster bed. Soft
décor, all very pleasing to the eye. The sash window is half open and somewhere
outside down a cobbled street, a lone saxophone fills the air with its slow,
sad sound. There’s a slight breeze that gently sways the voile panel almost
like a dance, the air has shifted. Just enough to make you turn your head away
from the window. Your eyes rest on the glass, it holds an emerald, green
liquid, you could have sworn that there had been more in the glass, but even as
you look at the glass, you doubt your own mind.
The notes
from the sax fill the room now and you shiver, but it isn’t from the cold…
A Look That
Knows
I walk over
to the desk and carefully run my finger along the highly polished rosewood
surface. The elephant light with its long trunk and feet flailing in the air,
look almost whimsy. Then my eyes are cast to the laptop bag and the notebook; a
black cover with the rock and roll heart and the words: ‘Everlasting love’,
catch my attention. I remove it from the pocket and open it on the page which
holds the description. Eyes: grey. Intense. They hold secrets of their own, yet
they look, they see, but they never judge…or do they?
From that
moment, it was clear. This man was someone who was dangerous, not because of
his eyes, but because he used them to look into my soul.
The Choice
to Stay
There was a
moment when I still held the notebook, I looked at other words written inside
the cream unlined, almost silken paper. I could have put it away. After all, I
travel with several notebooks, including my laptop.
I closed my
eyes and inhaled, outside the sax was reaching the pinnacle of the musical
piece. Inside the room, everything stayed the same, everything that is, except
the beating of my heart. It pounded so hard in my chest, it felt as if I were
going the break.
There was a
tug of war going on inside me, the reason of a professional at breaking point,
breathing in the words of a man whose file I held and knew I shouldn’t look at
anymore. The desire to continue was too strong, or maybe it was because I knew
he wouldn’t allow me to look away.
So, I
didn’t…
The Weight
of Attraction
Still
holding the notebook in my left hand, I quickly removed my jacket and threw it
across to the chair near the door. It landed precariously on the edge of the
red leather seat, half stationary, half dangling.
I turned
the page and gasped, oh, how I tried to look away but it was as if the hold on
me was outside of my control.
There was
the one thing I didn’t want to see, but I couldn’t look away. How could I?
He made
himself known at that moment, he appeared, standing by the drink’s cabinet, he
reached for the tumbler. I watched as he raised the glass to his mouth, take a
sip, his head half turned, a smirk on his lips, and he gazed across at me
before he put the glass down.
I closed my
eyes momentarily, there was no doubt that there was an attraction to this man,
I was caught in his web, like a sailor lured by the song of the siren. I
couldn’t resist.
The First
Echo
Suddenly
the music stopped from outside on the street. My eyes opened and I looked over
at the gently swaying voile panel. The air around me was heady. I looked over
at the drink’s cabinet where moments before I had glimpsed him as he raised the
glass. He had slipped out, the room door had just closed, the lock had latched
and I almost ran to the door.
I was alone
but I could smell his aftershave, I could hear the sound of his lips as they
pursed together, after he had taken a sip of the drink.
He may have
been gone, but he left his essence, of his having been in the room with me. His
scent lingered, the feeling he invoked was still there.
A Whisper
Between Shadows
I placed
the notebook beside the bed, open on the page that revealed him. His dark presence
still remained, as though he were in the shadows, waiting, biding his time
because I knew in that moment that I heard his laugh, as I stood in front of
the window, I knew that he was still in the room, hiding in the shadows,
waiting.
This was
when he became dangerous, and I let him…
Next week
my lovelies, I will tell you about writing men who are not safe to love…
Until then,
keep your eyes open, and your breathing steady.
Anna

.png)
Comments
Post a Comment