A Day in the Scriptorium
Good evening my friends. What a day it has been. I finished the first rewrite of the first draft, lol getting complicated I know. What is great when you reach the end of the first draft is the story has finally made itself known and the rawness is on paper. I never write a tidy first draft, in fact the story is full of grammatical errors, omissions and a missing word here and there.
I was going through some emails, and DMs when I
came across a lovely message from a lady in Manchester. She asked about what a
typical day was like for a fantasy writer, how do I plot, plan and begin
writing.
Well, my friends, sit down and help yourself to a
glass of wine and settle into your favourite chair and I’ll tell you what a
typical, and not so typical day is like in the Scriptorium.
Coffee, Quiet, and a Blank Page
I always have a cup of coffee before I
open the PC. But I tell you this, nothing beats that first cup of French roast
before the day begins.
It’s two years since I had the Scriptorium
redecorated. Bookshelves put up, desk moved to a position where I can look out
of both windows.
The desk, it can look like something from
an episode of ‘Hoarders’, but I have my notebook open on the outline or the
character descriptions. If it’s a new WIP, then the blank page is either the
epigraph or the title page.
For me the quiet of the room is while I am
deciding on the playlist, which I usually have picked before I begin writing
the book.
The Opening of the Manuscript
I always find the first page of
writing a new book is the most exciting. The story is new and the characters
are just introducing themselves.
My Tempus
Militibus Series is ten books with the character arcs almost published. I
finished all the books before I published the first book in the series. That
was an important decision for me. A long series can change over the course of time,
I felt that if I finished the
first drafts of the series before the first book was published, continuity
between each book would remain on track and I would be immersed completely in
the world. There’s a particular satisfaction
that comes from having a completed series done before the first book comes out.
Conversations with Imaginary
People
When I start writing, I write
the description of the characters into a small notebook. As I mentioned in an
earlier post, I am a sucker for accents, and when I write dialogue, I can hear
the characters, how they sound and the way they look when they avoid an
uncomfortable question or a flirtatious expression.
One advantage of being a writer
is having a conversation with imaginary people as it doesn’t raise an eyebrow. Although
it does raise a whisker of two very judgemental literary experts.
The
Uninvited Editors
I love when
the cats lounge either on the window, or the old chair while I am writing. Lady
Cora has long been a stalwart of the Scriptorium and along with Mouse, the orange
and white parkour champion of the Militiverse, they take it in turns to jump
onto the desk and decide what edits need to be done. Mouse has discovered the
number pad and has decided that ‘000000000000000039221.’ has significant
meaning in the latest case the Militibus are investigating.
The Closing of the Scriptorium
When
I finish the chapter, or paragraph that I have been working on, and I know I am
reaching a point where I’m not writing anything that adds to the story, then I
close down the PC. I let the track finish playing on the record player and
then, myself, Lady Cora, and Mouse, leave the Scriptorium to the Militibus, or what
other characters have come in and taken to rest there. Tomorrow is a new day in
the
Militiverse Scriptorium.
I
hope that this little glimpse into my writing routine has been informative.
Just a little note, my dear friends, inspiration is all around us, open your
notebook, put down your thoughts, sketch them because you never know what
stories or pictures will come from those private pages.
Until
next time my friends, enjoy this magnificent weather.
Anna




Comments
Post a Comment