The Music of Gothic Literature
Good evening my lovelies, hasn’t it been a lovely weekend? I hope that you enjoyed yourself. Here in the Militiverse, it was, shall we say eventful. There is a new addition to the citizens who reside here, an orange-and-white goblin that we affectionately call Mouse. Though I suspect Lady Cora calls her a menace.
Over the weekend I was listening to some favourite music, out on the agora while I was reading some Maupassant. I absolutely adore his writings. The music I chose was Chopin's Spring Waltz. It's atmospheric, with just the right amount of melancholy, don't you think?
So, my friends, grab a seat, get comfortable and let’s discuss music, and music that suits gothic literature.
The Sound of the Gothic
When you think of something gothic, you imagine dark castles, draughty rooms, and a dying fire in the hearth. Have you ever really thought about the sounds that enter your imagination when you pick up a book? A melancholic violin perhaps, or a brooding piano filled with loss, maybe a saxophone, the notes bleeding with dread and pain?
All of these suit the mood.
Classical Inspirations
Then we turn to Mozart, Lacrimosa, from Requiem. Now there is a piece of music that embodies every gothic masterpiece ever written.
Though not strictly gothic, I do love listening to Mendelssohn’s Fingal’s cave, the Hebrides Overture. It awakens the imagination: a glass-fronted room facing an angry ocean. A raging storm churns the waves...and at any moment as the violas and the cellos reach their climax, you feel as though the glass is going to break and then whoosh, the furious water rushes in.
Modern Gothic Sounds
In recent years, I have discovered gothic rock. My faves are the Finnish group, The 69 Eyes. When reading Le Fanu, or the good doctor, Polidori, I listen to them. The deep bass voice of Jyrki69 chills and adds to the atmosphere. When I was rewriting Emile’s arc, last year, I discovered Jyrki’s solo album and several tracks became almost like an anthem for Emile’s escapades, particularly in a favourite club of his.
For Writers
When I am in the Scriptorium writing, I listen to various musical pieces. As a writer, I am inspired by places, and music. Whether it's my trusty old record player spinning a 78 or a vinyl album in the corner, music accompanies all of my writing sessions. Sometimes it’s the playlists that I have on my iTunes. Each playlist is curated for specific arcs, or books that I am writing.
Some of the music chosen are instantly recognisable as gothic classical or neoclassical but they suit the theme or the part that I happen to be working on.
I rarely write without music on in the background, but I have to have silence when I am editing.
So, my friends, I hope you enjoyed tonight’s discussion and I really hope that you explore some of the music or artists mentioned above as you are in for an aural treat either for reading to, or just relaxing.
Before I leave you, tell me, what music do you associate with Gothic literature?
Until next time, turn down the lights, light a few scented candles and turn on the stereo.
Anna
.png)


Comments
Post a Comment